Bowie State Fine and Performing Arts Center Grand Opening
This fall, Lt. Governor Brown participated in a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new $71 million Fine & Performing Arts Center at Bowie State University during the Prince George's Arts & Humanities Council's Arts Gala Awards.
"Three years ago, we broke ground on this project because we had a vision for the future here at Bowie State University," said Brown. "And today that vision becomes a reality."
The stunning, state-of-the-art facility was completed in part with a $63.1 million investment under the O'Malley-Brown Administration and includes over 123,000 square feet of specialized teaching and performance space. It supports three distinct disciplines in the arts – fine art, music, and theater – in acoustically isolated zones that enable simultaneous performances and classroom activities. The elegantly appointed facility features an intimate 400-seat main stage theater with a rising orchestra pit, a black box theater for experimental works, a 150-seat recital hall, a versatile movement studio and a fine art gallery. (Photo courtesy of Bowie State University)
- Made record investments in our community colleges, increasing funding by 31% since 2007
- Funded $3.7M in BRAC higher education grants, which successfully trained more than 2,100 Marylanders for BRAC jobs in just the first two years of the program
- Apprenticeship graduations up 28%, the highest level of participation in 20 years
Did you know five Maryland institutions were ranked among Kiplinger’s 100 “Best Values” in Public Colleges for 2012?
"One of the most important ways that we lay the foundation for job creation and economic growth is by investing in programs that give young Marylanders the skills they need to be successful in the 21st century economy.”
–Lt. Governor Brown
- Read Across Maryland Month Kick Off with Weinberg Foundation 3.1.13
- Kicking off Read Across Maryland at Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast 3.1.12
- Lt. Gov. Visits Crossland High School to Highlight Innovative College Summit Program 08.23.11
- Lt. Gov. Welcomes Prince George's County Students Back to School 08.22.11
- Lt. Gov. Presents $3.3 Million Check to Washington High School 08.17.11
- New Higher Education Programs to Support Aberdeen Proving Ground Region 07.12.11
- Tour of New Dorchester Career & Technology Center 06.29.11
- Visit to Central Middle for Bullying Awareness 05.25.11
- Lt. Gov. Delivers Hood College Commencement Address 05.21.11
- House Passes Maryland DREAM Act 04.08.11