Improving and Expanding Health Care
Maryland Receives Conditional Approval to Operate Health Benefit Exchange
The Lt. Governor recently announced that Maryland is among the first six states in the U.S. to receive conditional approval from the federal government to operate a state-based health insurance exchange in 2014.
The Maryland Health Benefit Exchange will operate Maryland Health Connection - a one-stop, transparent marketplace where individuals and small businesses can compare rates, benefits and quality among private insurance plans to find one that best suits their needs. Users will also be able to determine eligibility for tax credits and cost-sharing reductions, and enroll in qualified health plans or public programs, such as Medicaid.
Maryland has now received four federal grants to date, for a grand total of $157 million, which will allow us to implement the Exchange without the use of state funds.
- Expanded coverage to over 375,000 Marylanders since 2007, almost half of them children
- First in the nation to have all acute care hospitals connected electronically
- Recovered over $46.5 million in stolen Medicaid funds during FY11 through the False Health Claims Act
- Maryland's infant mortality rate down 16% since 2008
"Moms, dads, and kids throughout our state are counting on us, and we remain as committed as ever to moving forward with our mission to expand access, reduce costs and improve the quality of care for all Marylanders."
--Lt. Governor Brown on the future of health care reform in Maryland
Lt. Governor Brown will hold a press conference on January 24th to announce the final designations made by DHMH Secretary Dr. Joshua Sharfstein. Please visit the HEZ website for more information.
January 24, 2013, 11:30am Governor's Reception Room, Annapolis
Lt. Governor Brown announces selections
- Four Nursing Homes Receive Grant Funding to Adopt Health IT 5.8.13
- Lt. Gov. Presents $1.1 Million Check for Prince George's HEZ 5.1.13
- Program Launched to Prepare Consumers for Open Enrollment through Maryland Health Connection 4.25.13
- Lt. Gov. Presents $200,000 Check to Fund Annapolis Health Enterprise Zone 4.15.13
- General Assembly Passes Administration's Health Reform Legislation 3.27.13
- Lt. Gov. Announces $750,000 in Funding for St. Mary's County HEZ 3.25.13
- Statement on Third Anniversary of ACA 3.23.13
- Lt. Gov. Receives AMA's Top Award for Government Service 2.13.13
- Maryland's First Five Health Enterprise Zones Announced 1.24.13
- New Recommendations for Maryland's Essential Health Benefits Plan 12.17.12
- Maryland's Health Benefit Exchange Receives Conditional Approval for Operation 12.10.12
- Statement on Proposed ACA Regulations 11.20.12
- Lt. Gov. Announces Next Step Toward Establishing Maryland's Health Enterprise Zones 10.5.12
- Lt. Gov. Receives Congressional Leadership Award at CBC Health Braintrust 9.21.12
- Health Care Reform Coordinating Council Selects Maryland's Essential Health Benefit Plan 9.27.12
- Maryland Receives $123M Federal Grant to Support Health Benefit Exchange 8.23.12