Delivering for our Veterans
Honoring the Greatest Generation
In September, the Lt. Governor spoke at the Montgomery County Honors WWII Veterans ceremony, hosted by County Executive Leggett and the County Council. Over 150 WWII Veterans attended the ceremony, many who served in some of the best known aspects of the war, including the D-Day invasion of Normandy, the Battle of Bulge, the Battle for the Remagen Bridge over the Rhine River, the Battle for Iwo Jima and the Battle of the Coral Sea.
"As a state and as a nation, we share a collective responsibility to honor the service of those who have worn our country's uniform," said Lt. Governor Brown, a Colonel in the U. S. Army Reserves and the highest ranking elected official to have served a tour of duty in Iraq. "Now, more than ever, it's important that we continue to support all of our veterans, especially those who, as members of the Greatest Generation, sacrificed so much so that we could have a chance to live freely and peacefully today."
To see photos from the event, click here.
Watch the video of the ceremony here.
- Launched Mil2FedJobs, the first in the nation web portal to connect returning veterans to jobs in the federal government.
- Funded over $400,000 in loans through the Veterans No Interest Business Loan Program.
- Established the Maryland College Collaboration for Student Veterans, joined by 39 colleges and universities pledging to improve on-campus services for student veterans
Maryland's Commitment to Veterans: Call 1-877-770-4801 or visit www.veterans.maryland.gov
Maryland Homefront Program
This summer the Lt. Governor joined DHCD to launch Maryland Homefront, a new Maryland Mortgage Program initiative to make homeowneship more accessible for Veterans and military families. In the first month, five families had already received loan reservations. See the fact sheet on Maryland Homefront here.
- Final Passage of Veterans Full Employment Act 4.8.13
- Lt. Gov. Praises VA Plan of Action on Veterans' Claims Backlog 2.19.13
- Lt. Gov. Announces New MVA Services for Veterans 1.14.13
- New Get Out the Vote Program in Tribute to our Veterans 10.17.12
- New Homeownership Incentives for Veterans and Military Families 7.3.12
- Free MDOT Veterans Resource Expo Announced 4.5.12
- Lt. Gov. Receives AMVETS Free State Award of Excellence 3.31.12
- Maryland Receives $1.6M in Federal Funds to Help Homeless Veterans 3.27.12
- General Assembly Passes Bill to Create Veteran Status on Maryland Drivers' Licenses 3.15.12
- Statement on the End of the War in Iraq 12.14.11
- Lt. Gov. Presides Over First VetStat Meeting 11.10.11
- Lt. Gov. Attends White House Press Conference on Putting Veterans Back to Work 11.07.11
- Statement on President Obama's New Initiatives to Create Jobs for Veterans 10.25.11